Saturday, May 2, 2009

Run for the Reason: Midnight Run

Running at night was a new experience. It is very liberating to run under the stars on a cool 72 degree night. The air is fresh and the night noises are pleasant. Our first runner, Kathleen, started around 12:30 just a little behind schedule. She passed the baton to me after 4.5 miles. I ran 4.5 miles in 42 minutes and passed the baton to Holley. Holley was followed by Jennifer, then Waymon, and finally Lee who is running anchor. Between all of us, we are averaging 9-11 minutes per mile. Waymon is probably our strongest runner. He and I are the only two males in the group, but that doesn't really matter. The girls keep the spirit up, and we have a good time.

Each runner had the chance to sleep before or after his run, but it's very hard to do that when you are either anticipating your run or have just run and are pumping with endorphins and adrenaline. I managed to sleep briefly during Lee's time being that I had been done for a few hours and had just pigged out on snacks.

The morale is still high, we haven't had any major injuries. Kathleen has a hurt calf muscle but is able to work out the stiffness and soreness during her run. I had a toenail that was cutting into another toe during the first day run. I fixed that with some toenail clippers and a band-aid.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment