Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tesla Model S Review

Tesla Model S Gallery

The Tesla Model S is the Motor Trend 2013 Car of the Year.  No surprise that it is also my favorite electric car that I have driven to date.  In my role as a research engineer, I drove the first plug-in hybrid developed by an automotive original equipment manufacturer (OEM), the Ford Escape PHEV.  I loved that car.  It was big and spacious.  It had cargo space, decent torque and horsepower, and I wasn’t afraid to drive it in heavy traffic for fear of being squished.  I could average 30 miles per gallon of gasoline which is unheard-of in SUV land.  As a project vehicle, I logged miles, kWh, gallons of gasoline, etc. in order to quantify the value of the vehicle.  Sadly, Ford has decided not to make this vehicle that everyone who drove it loved (so arrogant they are in Detroit, but that’s a different blog post).  So, I had to settle for other versions of the Plug-in Electric Vehicle (PEV).  The Chevrolet Volt and Nissan Leaf finally made it to market as both OEM made PEVs.  However, neither could live up to the Escape’s qualities in either range or size.   The Volt has amiable qualities in its range with a 35 mile all electric range and 300 mile gas backup.  The Leaf has all electric qualities with zero speed torque and never going to the gas station… ever.  However, neither has the size or cargo space of the Escape (that Ford will never make. Did I mention that?).

Last, in comparison, is the Tesla Roadster.  My previous job afforded me the luxury of purchasing the 290th Roaster as a research project (why did I leave that job?) to test the charging characteristics of the vehicle (120V @ 12 A up to 240V @ 70 A) and the power quality and distribution system impacts that went along with the charging.  Unfortunately, somebody had to drive it in order to charge it (I took that bullet).  Besides its being the most fun car I have ever driven, its acceleration spoiling me forever, and the sheer joy of driving the most advanced electric car to that date, the Tesla Roadster is by far the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven.  At 1.9 meters tall, it is a feat for me to fold-up and get into that vehicle.  I have to drive with my knees bent and nearly touching the steering wheel on both sides, and I can hardly see if the top is on.  So, I still reserved the Escape that Ford will never build as my favorite PEV… until now.

All of that to say, the Model S is by far one of the most pleasurable cars you can drive, period.  It far surpasses all of the other PEVs that I have driven, but it also surpasses other cars I have driven (including BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus to name a few).  When looking at the Model S, it is apparent that a fine-tooth comb was used in design.  This car is Steve Jobs-design-worthy.  Every line is beautiful and meticulously placed down to the design of the key (which is roughly a hot-wheels size replica of the car by the way).  The charge-port is conveniently hidden behind a rear reflector to eliminate the need for a circle that looks like a gas compartment.  The inside is equally as beautiful from the seats to the steering wheel.  Creature comforts are galore (driver profiles, Bluetooth connection, all four auto-up and auto-down windows, moisture sensing windshield wipers, on-the-fly suspension adjustments, a HUGE touch-screen… to name a few).  Did I mention the space?  Roomy enough for five adults and two children (yes, 7 total) with the optional kiddo seats in the hatchback (yes, it is a hatchback).  Two trunks and lay-down back seats have enough cargo space to rival the Escape.  The front trunk is my favorite, because it’s a trunk in the front, why wouldn’t it be the favorite?!

Ok, on to driving the Model S.  Driving this car is natural.  That is the best way to describe it.  The acceleration and braking are, of course, Roadster-esque, but not unnaturally so.  The Roadster let you know that with every depression of the accelerator that you were driving a speed machine.  This car makes it more subtle like an every-day-luxury-driver that can out-drag and M5… which it can do.

 
Video from Youtube by Automobile Magazine

The regenerative braking does take some time to adjust to, but it becomes natural very quickly.  Handling can be comfortable, standard, or sporty depending on how the steering adjustment is configured (which can also be changed on-the-fly).   These are several reasons this is my favorite PEV.

While it is my favorite, I do have a few criticisms.  First, I hate the door handles.  Yes, it is nice that they recede into the car for more aerodynamics, but dang-it I can’t get into the car when I want to.  Second, the blinker controller is awkwardly too low on the steering wheel causing unwanted engagement or disengagement of the cruise control located just above it.  Third, the gear shifter is on the column.  No, there are no gears to shift, but it does control changes from P, R, N, and D.  I really like my stick-like gear shifter in between the driver and front-seat passenger.  It gives something to hold onto while driving and makes me feel at home.  This is my least complaint except that I shifted the car into neutral a few times trying to turn on the windshield wipers.  Maybe the driver needs more training… Anyway, nit-picky complaints on a beautifully designed and crafted car.

If you leave this post with anything, it would be that the Model S is far superior to any PEV on the market and perhaps far superior to any comparable gasoline vehicle (look out BMW).  If this is your price range, I would consider it among other vehicles and see how compares.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

Car and Driver Youtube Video


Until next time,

BC

No comments:

Post a Comment