I have been watching the devastation of Haiti in sheer shock. I truly feel for the people of Haiti. Harm and I went to the Dominican Republic for our Honeymoon, and the landscape, the climate, the everything of that island is truly paradise. However, lackluster building codes, years of political upheaval, and lack of quality education have left the country susceptible to devastation. Part of me says that ignorance is no excuse “the foolish man builds his house upon the sand.” As out of context as that argument can be, it does go through my head. Why? I am a capitalist at heart which I am more and more believing is similar to evolutionary theory. The strong survive, and the weak perish. That, however, is a discussion for another day.
I do have compassion in my heart, and I want to help. As Americans, we think that helping means writing a check. Don’t get me wrong, money does help, but writing a check and thinking that you have ‘done’ something is naive. It really gets to me when a big name celebrity puts on a telethon and brings out all of his big name friends. Everyone who watches and donates feels better about themselves because they ‘gave.’ What are we teaching our children by this type of behavior?
I watched Hotel Rwanda last night. There is a scene where Paul Rusesabagina is talking to a reporter (played by Joaquin Phoenix) who shot some violent footage of the genocide outside of the hotel. Paul says he is glad that the footage will show because people will know the truth and they will send help. The reporter replies that they will say “That’s horrible, then keep eating their dinner.”
And that’s exactly what we do. We keep eating our dinner, going to work, buying our big-screen TVs, watching NFL football games, and going about our lives like nothing is going-on. Every day people die of hunger, from not having clean water, or for some other frivolous reason. What are you going to do about it? Write another check?
Let me give you another alternative. Take for example Michael Andrew a photographer. He was personally convicted by this Haiti tragedy. He is in Haiti today DOING something about it. I consider Michael a friend. He was the wedding photographer for my wedding and my brother’s wedding. So, I have spent some time with him on a business level, but I have also followed his blog for a while now. He is truly a genuine person. When he said he was going to Haiti, I knew it was not to draw attention, get sympathy, or try to find out how many people would object. He is passionate about positively changing the world. So what is Michael doing in Haiti? He is documenting all of the orphanages in the area of Port Au Prince. When he finds one, he uploads the GPS coordinates to Facebook and photographs the damage and children. There are many places that have received aide, but others have not. He is basically improving the flow of information back to those who can provide aide. More than anything, he is there. He is sacrificing his own resources, time, money, skills, etc. to make a difference.
![]() Photo courtesy of MichaeltheMaven.com |
I encourage you to make a difference. Don’t be content with just giving monetarily. Do something. I’m not saying drop everything and go to Haiti, but do something in your community, for a local school, go on a mission trip. Whatever you do, do it sacrificially. Otherwise your motives are selfishly driven, and your actions will be for nothing.
Whatever it is… Get out there and DO IT. What are you waiting for? Now is the best time!!

No comments:
Post a Comment