Thursday, December 31, 2009

10 Most Memorable Moments of the Last Decade...

I took this idea from BT over at trappster.com. This is a look at my life in the two-thousands(?). Which brings me to a different idea... What do you call the last decade? I'm almost glad it's over, because noone in the last 10 years could answer that question. I grew up in the 80's and 90's, but then the millennium/century turned and everyone was confused. I digress...

Here's the list:

2000. This was the year I turned 16 and got my drivers license. This is one of those proverbial coming-of-age events. THis was also the year that I became an Eagle Scout which is one of my proudest moments.


2001. I went on my first mission trip in 2001. My high-school youth group took all of us to Colorado Springs for a week during this summer. It was particularly memorable, because we drove to Colorado, stopping in Oklahoma City to see the bombing memorial.


2002. In February of 2002, I had the worst day of my life. I was involved in a car accident that totaled my mom's car. I walked away thankfully, but it was by far the most traumatic experience I have ever had. I learned a lot from it, and I grew a lot because of it. If anything else happened in '02, I don't remember it, because this trumps it all.


2003. 2003 was a transitional year for me. I graduated high-school, got my first car, went on a trip to Ecuador (which BTW is an amazing country), and started college with strep throat.


2004. This is the year of "The Flood." I was in the Million Dollar Band at Alabama, and I woke up early on the Saturday of the Iron Bowl to find that my dorm room was 'puddled' with water. Needless to say, I was late for practice that morning. Not only did my room flood, my brother's room (which was located below mine) also flooded, and the basement of the dorm flooded. Turns out there was a pinhole leak in a pipe next to my sink inside the wall.


2005. In the spring of 2005, I finished 5th in Mallet Wargames. Wargames is a one-shot-one-kill game played on campus at Alabama starting the Monday after Sprig Break. Everyone in the Mallet dorm plays all over campus 24-7 until one person remains. I killed myself during finals week, because I was too stressed out. In the fall of 2005, I took too many lab classes at the same time. I had 4 tests, a presentation, and 5 finals within the last two weeks of class. Those two weeks I lost 10 lbs. due to stress.


2006. The summer of 2006 my friend Tyler and I played NHL Hitz on X-box every day after work. My nickname was "Skeeter," and I was good. It's an extremely addicting game. Not very difficult, but when you play with someone else, it is impossible to stop playing.


2007. This was another transitional year. I graduated from college, got married, started my first job, quit my first job (a story for a later date), started my second job, and attended 12 weddings. Yeah, it was a busy year


2008. In 2008, my wife and I bought our first house and got a dog. We love both of them


2009. Earlier this year, my wife was involved in a car accident that totaled her car that we both loved. Thankfully she was not injured, but the whole experience was in itself tedious. I dread car shopping, much less being forced against my will to go car shopping. Nevertheless, we found another car that we like.


I'm sure there are many more examples I could use, but these stick out in my mind. I'm looking forward to the next decade because, I have a chance to write it. I have a clean slate. What will I do? I don't know, but I do have a list of things I want to do. Check out my post tomorrow for what I plan to do in 2010. I don't like the use of "New Year's Resolutions," because it is overused and cliche. So, I will call it goals, aspirations, or something like that. At the end of the next decade I will be 35.

What will you do with your next 10 years?

No comments:

Post a Comment